Wednesday, July 9, 2008

7/9/08 a blip of what i wrote today

This is the middle of the first chapter. It is unedited and rough. let me know what you think.


I memorized her look when she finally came out of her trance, focusing on my eyes and staring into my soul. It was not a evil or haunted look but more of an understanding with hope. She asked, “What exactly is your dead end? Can you not find proven documentation or just documentation of the myths?”
Her empathic expression caused me to answer without thinking, “I can’t find truth in any of the myths I want to write about. I have changed and narrowed and broadened and still am only finding rumors and fiction. There has to be a splinter of truth that lead to the fabrication of the stories.”
She nodded slowly and carefully responded, “Are you looking in the right places. You may not find true answers by Internet searches and it may not be in educational references. You may need to search within you and why you are looking at the particular myth in your mind. It may be in front of you and you are not asking the right questions.”
She paused and I processed what she had said.
I never told her I wanted to work on a particular myth. In the beginning I looked at researching vampires, aliens, Blood Mary, Broiled diver, Lady with a neck scarf, all of which where either to popularized or not enough to make a semester’s worth of research. It was the mystifying tale of Nightwalker’s and the Southwest folklore that I found constantly. I kept finding the same bit of information and I knew there was more. I did not know why I could not find more and why nobody wanted to talk about it. I asked my dad for help and he dismissed me with, “No such thing, nothing to talk about.”
Before we moved to Seattle he worked on the Navajo Reservation, I thought he would be more of a help and expert yet he was neither.
I continued to Mrs. Maloney, “Where do I go then?”
We discussed options on finding research and different avenues. She gave me some links and people to talk to and wanted her name left out of any of my correspondence. I agreed and ended up getting to take Wednesday’s to go do research. She seemed quite helpful and willing to edit my paper and research.

No comments: