Friday, April 4, 2008

I recently switched from a working mother to a stay at home mother of two. The first few months were exhilarating. I had a constant high of no schedule, spring cleaning and organizing. It was exciting to wake up later in the morning, spend the day playing and having kid fun with my little ones. I did not miss the work pressure of meeting deadlines, conference calls and systematic checking of e-mails.

However, this excitement wore off. My lack of a schedule, daily kid fun and a home that is not-so-clean-anymore turned to isolation and boredom. So I took to the outdoors. Now, this is difficult in the winter of the Northwest. The beaches of the Sound were uninhabited, cold and windy. The local parks were wet and still uninhabited. Being a new comer to the area I wondered if the winter sent all of the residents into hibernation. This lead to my question, what do stay-at-home-mom’s of small children do?

I set out on this quest to find what to do with my children, have adult contact and incorporate valuable time with my children. All of the traits are need to qualify for my reason to leave the house. As a mother with small children it is easy to not venture out. With this in mind I started checking local resources for things to do. So travel with me as I search out other SAHM with life beyond the toddler years

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love being bored at home LOL!

But we...
go to the park
go to storytime at Barnes and Noble
go to the mall
go to gymnastics class
dance class
go eat with my son in Kindergarten..

Thats all I got!

Leesa said...

Yea we have started do that also. It is what i discovered in my path to becoming a mom - lol

edobell said...

Join a local SAHM (stay at home moms group) Theirs all sorts of those EVERYWHERE, so just check your internet! The key is finding friends that are SAHM's also and getting out and doing things with them. Hang in there, trust me... it get's better.

Kim N said...

I am a total hermit and homebody by nature so I have the opposite problem. I don't think to get out enough because I am perfectly content in my little world of home so I have to force myself to get out for my kids.

Not that I don't like to socialize and get out! I just don't think about it often enough.